Pet Steal Your Heart?
If so, it could be a serious problem! While it may be great to receive chocolate on Valentine’s Day, this is not so great for your furry friend. Here’s more in-depth info on why it’s important to enforce the separation of chocolate and pets, and what to do if they get their paws on these sweets:
- Chocolate is high in fats, and also contains theobromine and caffeine which affect the heart, central nervous system and urination frequency.
- The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for our furry friends. Please be careful with baking chocolate, as this poses the biggest risk.
- If your pet has ingested chocolate, call us (or an emergency hospital) immediately. We will be able to advise you on proper treatment protocol. Common symptoms of chocolate ingestion might be vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drinking, pacing, shaking and hyperactivity.
- Call Animal Poison Control. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is a valuable resource for chocolate consumption. Their number is 888-426-4435. Be prepared to tell them the type of chocolate, the amount ingested and the time your pet ate it. These factors will be vital in determining the proper treatment protocol for your pet.
While we’re not advocating for you to have a Valentine’s Day sans chocolate, we do want our clients to be safe and responsible during this time! Please always be aware of any chocolate that is left out and keep it in pet-safe containers or inaccessible drawers!
For more information on chocolate toxicity and pets, please contact us at (610) 421-8381.